Chicago’s annual tree lighting date has been revealed, along with details of upcoming city events and festivities.
The City of Chicago’s 108th Annual Christmas Tree will be lit up at the intersection of Michigan Avenue and Washington Street on November 19 at 6 p.m., with holiday performances until 7:45 p.m.
The tree will shine in Millennium Park until Jan. 9, according to city officials. The park is open daily from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily with face coverings and social distancing encouraged.
While this year’s event will take place in person, Chicago’s Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events said tree lighting will be expanded and include multiple viewing screens to allow for increased social distancing.
Also open on November 19, the McCormick Tribute Ice Rink will return to Millennium Park until March 6 after being closed last year due to the coronavirus pandemic, officials said.
Entrance to the ice rink will be free, although reservations are required, DCASE noted. Snacks and hot drinks will also be available.
Free skating lessons will also be held this season most Saturdays and Sundays from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. by reservation, officials added. DCASE will provide ice skating and hockey lessons for beginners and intermediates.
The Millennium Park Art Market will return to Chicago on the weekend of Nov. 19-21 after taking a year off due to the pandemic, DCASE said.
To kick off the holiday shopping season, the Art Market is located in the Chase Promenade North Tent, with 30 Chicago-area artists selling jewelry, pottery, drawings, and paintings, among other items.
Here are the opening hours of the art market:
- Friday, November 19: 3 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Saturday November 20: 12 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Sunday November 21: 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
New to the city in the coming months, the Millennium Park Holiday Sing-Along, previously called “Caroling at Cloud Gate,” gives Chicagoans a chance to wear a festive tune from late November through December.
Here is the song program:
- Friday November 26 at 6 p.m .: Chicago Latino Theater Alliance presents Destinos al Aire: Posadas y Parranda
- Friday December 3 at 6 p.m .: Dexter Walker & Zion Movement
- Friday December 10 at 6 p.m .: The Chicago High School for the Arts Chorale Ensemble
- Sunday December 12 at 4 p.m .: Singers from the Jewish community of Kol Zimrah
- Friday December 17 at 6 p.m .: Chicago Community Chorus