Washington State University’s School of Hospitality Business Management will kick off its annual Hospitality Week on Tuesday, March 8, with a series of events open to the public, including the Bellhop and SHBM New Inductees Celebration. Hall of Fame.
Tuesday’s events include an industry panel at 12 p.m. via Zoom that will feature hospitality experts discussing career opportunities and challenges in the hospitality industry. Registration is available on the Industry Panel website. Panelists include:
- Sam Johnson, Senior Vice President of Operations, The Hotel Group
- Joe Fugere (’84), Founder and CEO, Tutta Bella
- Brian McGinnis (’77), Owner, Pinnacle Real Estate LLC
- Julie Purnell (’86), Senior Director of Asset Management, Flynn Holdings
On Tuesday at 4:30 p.m., the Women in Hospitality panel will present the career prospects via Zoom of three hospitality professionals. Registration is available on the Women in Hospitality Panel website. Panelists include:
- Odette Brown, Regional Vice President of Franchise Services, Choice Hotels
- Leah Murphy (’05, ’07), Senior Manager, Jane Hotel Group
- Zoe LaClair, Director of Asset Management, Magna Hospitality
- Abby Murtagh, General Manager, Arizona Biltmore, will moderate the panel
On Wednesday, March 9, the Granger Cobb Institute for Older Adults will host an inaugural senior life conference at 3:10 p.m., featuring Murray Mercier, senior life executive, PointClickCare. Mercier will present “Living with dementia: reception, home and relationships”. Registration is available on the Granger Cobb Speaker Event website.
On Thursday, March 10, Sara Phelps, Director of Astronaut and Customer Experience at Blue Origin, will present “A New Era in Space Astronaut Experience: Hospitality for the New Golden Age of Space Travel” at the annual Burtenshaw Distinguished Lecture at 1 :25 pm Registration is available on the Burtenshaw Conference website.
On Thursday at 4 p.m., the School of Hospitality Business Management will host the annual Burtenshaw Career Night, followed by a reception at 6:15 p.m. , as well as other business students. Registration is available on the Burtenshaw Hospitality Career Night website.
On Friday, March 11, the School of Hospitality Business Management will host the Bellhop and Hall of Fame Celebration at 5 p.m. Registration is available for $125 on the Bellhop Dinner website. Participants can support the Hotel School by purchasing event sponsorships at three registration levels: Pineapple $10,000, Crimson $5,000 and Gray $2,500. During the Bellhop program, the SHBM will recognize Hall of Fame inductees:
- Anthony Anton (’91), President and CEO, Washington Hospitality Association
- Navin Dimond (’85), CEO and Chairman, Stonebridge Companies
- Gregory Rapp (’92), Founder, Menu Engineer (deceased)
- Clarice Turner, Board Director and Director, Hospitality and Culinary Sectors
“We are delighted to celebrate our 90and anniversary as WSU School of Hospitality Business Management,” said Bob Harrington, Director of SHBM. “The Bellhop honors the past, celebrates the present and builds the future of our identity as one of the top five hospitality schools in the country.”